- ✔ CHOLLA WOOD FOR YOUR PETS — SunGrow Cholla Wood is the dried husk of the Cholla cactus. No live cacti are cut for our cholla wood. Each pack contains 3 pieces, each 5 inches long with a hollowed centre. Simply soak for 24 to 48 hours and it’ll sink to the bottom of the tank.
- ✔ FOR PLAYING AND HIDING — Small shrimps, fry and fishes enjoy swimming through and hiding in the Cholla Wood. They find it both entertaining and a place to hide.
- ✔ FOR CHEWING AND ADDITIONAL NUTRITION — Larger fishes and hermit crabs sometimes chew on Cholla Wood. Reptiles, hamsters, birds and other small pets also enjoy using Cholla Wood as a chew toy.
- ✔ PREPARING YOUR CHOLLA WOOD — SunGrow Cholla Wood is a thorn-free log. Shrimp, fry, pleco, hermit crabs, fishes, even reptiles and birds love Cholla wood. PREPARATION: Before placing the product in the aquarium, rinse before use, even after boiling or soaking. A “post-boil soak” in fresh water with a bag of activated carbon is a recommended step, too.
- ✔ DECORATIVE FOR YOUR PLANTS AND CRAFTS — Cholla Wood is used to enhance the appearance of potted plant and flora. Their naturally rustic surfaces are coveted for crafts. Hobbyists often use these for making candle-holders or for simply decorating a photo frame.
SunGrow Cholla Wood is popular among shrimps, fry, fishes, pleco and hermit crabs. The Cholla Wood holes provide hiding spots for the smaller breeds after they molt or when they are feeling vulnerable. They also provide a food source that shrimps feed on, similar to what certain leaves do. The wood will eventually break down but it will take at least a year for the thinnest pieces and even longer for the thicker ones.
Cholla Wood works great as decorative aquarium pieces. But did you know they can also be used as bird toys? Pet owners have sought out Cholla wood for reptiles, birds, chinchillas, parrots, crabs, rabbits, and hamsters to chew on.
Cholla is also useful for decorating any potted plant. Just stand them in any potted plant to add a touch of genuine Southwestern character. Hobbyists have also used the rustic look of Cholla wood for carving craft.
Each pack of SunGrow Cholla Wood contains 3 pieces, each 5 inches long. For transportation purposes, they are shipped to you dried. Always rinse before use, even after boiling or soaking. By the way, a “post-boil soak” in fresh water is a recommended step too. Simply soak them in water for 24 – 48 hours and they will start to sink to the bottom of the tank, ready for your aquatic pets to chew and play with.
Bird owners know that birds need exercise and cholla wood gives helps give them that exercise. Now you can make your own hanging cholla wood stand, swing and cradle, and let your bird chirp even more happily.
Note: when a cholla wood gets broken or slightly cut, these are natural and perfectly safe, and there is absolutely no harm to the pet due to this.